I started this blog in March 2009. This is what I had to say about myself at the time:
After spending most of my twenties dipping in and of debt, the time has come to start saving, stop shopping and make the most of what I already have.
Ten Things About Me
- I am married and live near the sea in the Westcountry (England).
- According to my mother, I could whistle when I was 6 months old.
- I am a total bookworm and have a degree in Literature.
- My favourite novel is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
- I once saved up and bought myself a ring from Tiffany’s on 5th Avenue.
- I have recently started listening to Radio 4. I am not sure if this is a sign of my age (31) or evidence that I am super-cool.
- I have an unnaturally obsessive relationship with my Filofax. It is red and made of leather – need I say more?
- One day I want to eat gumbo by a bayou.
- I play bass guitar in a band
- Since seeing the film ‘Le Divorce’ I have been crazed with desire for a red Hermes Kelly bag. It is never going to happen.
Since starting the blog there have been a lot of changes. Husband and I now have a beautiful little girl (she started whistling at 9 months – clearly it is in the genes!) and a gorgeous baby boy (no whistling so far). I have gone from having a well paid job, to a considerably less well paid job (considering the current employment market I consider myself very lucky to have work at all). I now work part-time so I can spend as much time as possible with my children and we have bought our ‘forever’ house. This means that the budget is tighter than ever! However, it also shows that by putting our heads down and being being proactive we got to where we wanted to be.
I still love bags (and I still like that Hermes number. It has never been less likely though). Le Divorce is still my favourite film. I still want that gumbo (though I don’t think I could face the long haul flight even if I had the cash). I still love my filofax and listening to radio 4 (if I get the chance). So some things have changed, some things haven’t.
For more info on what this blog is all about, check out the ‘Shoestring Living’ tab. If you would like to contact me my email address is: shoestringalley at yahoo dot co dot uk . If you stop by, please leave a comment and say hi!