Is everyone thinking about New Years Resolutions? It is tempting to write a sort of wish list at the start of a new year though, as I said this time last year, I’m not quite so much about the goals as I used to be. Or, rather, about having a daunting list/setting myself up for failure. I don’t have the sort of time I used to have but I always appreciate having a bit of direction…
For 2012 I’ve decided to try setting some ‘goals’ quarterly. I find monthly ones a bit too challenging. We only need another molar to come through (oh the joys of teething) and I have to revert back to a basic survival mode of grabbing sleep where I can and trying to remember to eat and brush my teeth. And then the monthly goals go out of the window! But quarterly – quarterly I think I can manage. And thus…
Financial: Save £600 into my ISA and, jointly with Husband, to save £500 into the house fund (we also have other savings funds on the go which is why it is unrealistic to try for more). Both of these figures are going to be challenging to achieve but should be possible unless a big financial monster rears its head (ie something ‘big’ breaking and needing to be replaced). Trying to keep to the £200 a month food budget for the three of us is going to be important here but I’m not going to sweat it too much. If it goes over a tiny bit sometimes it’s no big deal provided we’re still saving. I’m impressed by own laid-back bravado on this one!
Health & Fitness: I am now putting on weight for a past time. In the last month I’ve had to go out and buy a few items of clothing in the next size up (nooooooo!) because it was getting a bit critical. I am so annoyed with myself. Particularly when I’ve got so many gorgeous things I can’t wear. Grrrrr. Anyway, the goal for the first quarter is to lose a stone. I have avoided weighing myself over Christmas so I’ll do that tomorrow. Gulp.
House: As in, get it on the market. We’ve got loads to do but I’d like it to be up for sale around the end of March. I am dreading every aspect of this and am not going to bore anyone with the ‘to do’ list involved but it has to happen!
There are other things I’ve got in mind for next year that I’m not targeting. More of the direction I want things to take than conventional ‘goals’ which include:
- Giving more to charity. I’ve already signed us up to donate a small amount each month to Save The Children and I’ve started getting involved – in a very small – way with a couple of independent charities that need ‘stuff’. It doesn’t add up to much but it is a start and something I want to get into more. I’ll also continue giving my old stuff to charity shops and using my gift aid cards so they get the full benefit of the donation.
- Improving my handwriting. Odd one I know but it is really getting into the realms of demented scrawl. Attention must be paid!
- Continuing to learn about food: Cooking it, eating it, reading about it, buying it in season and as ethically as possible.
- Learning in general: Yup, back to the neglected grey matter referenced this time last year. No specifics here, just to keep the door open!
- Living on a budget: With emphasis on the living. If I can save the figures mentioned above then that is more than good enough considering our relatively low incomes. Now my gorgeous girl is a toddler it much easier to get out and about and I want 2012 to involve more of that, even if it means saving less!
- Making stuff: No specifics but I’d like to have made one or two things by the end of the year. We’ll see!
And that’s me signing out until next year/tomorrow! Thank you to everyone who stops by and particularly those of you that say hello. Happy New Year!!