My meal plans have gone a bit, well, off-plan. Remember I said I was making some batches of lasagne and bolognese sauce to go in the freezer? Turns out I really can’t stomach either anymore. Ah, the unpredictable turns of pregnancy. I found the lasagne so revolting that I couldn’t bring myself to make the bolognese sauce. The remaining mince beef has gone into the freezer for future use. Trying to eat healthily is really tricky when your usual staples don’t want to stay down. Here’s a list of things that are literally turning my stomach at the moment:
- any kind of meat though, in particular, mince beef or lamb. Chicken seems to be okay-ish, though only in really small quantities and if it is chopped up into tiny chunks
- anything cooked in tomato sauce. Pasta, meat – anything. As I discovered when we went out for our anniversary dinner and I couldn’t eat my main course…
- a lot of cooked vegetables, though roast potatoes and parsnips still seem to be fine
- soup – something to do with the texture? Or the smell?
The only things that seem to be consistently okay are:
- dairy products like cheese, milk and yoghurt. Though not melted cheese. Bleurgh.
- Crisps, cake and biscuits, ie stuff you should only have as an occasional treat
- cereal and museli
I’m told this is nothing to worry about, to just eat what I can and to make sure I’m taking my vitamins. Even so, this is making sticking to a meal plan really tricky! The only kind of hot foods that I don’t seem to have gone off are puddings (like apple crumble) and, er, toast. And roast spuds. Oh what I would do for a big chunk of brie. Or a dippy egg. Neither of which I am supposed to have.
I’m going to have to go back to the drawing board for next weeks shop. I’m not holding out much hope for stocking my freezer back up with home-made ready meals at this rate! Unless, that is, anyone has any great recipes involving cheddar cheese, cucumber and roasted veg…