Perhaps freakishly, I quite like the grey weather of autumn and early winter. I don’t like the bit between New Year and April much but that’s another story. I suspect I was a tortoise or similar in a previous life – I find the idea of hybernation rather appealing. I should point out that I mostly only enjoy grey and blustery weather from indoors. Trying to get through crowded wet streets when it is blowing a gale to go the post office or standing putting fuel in the car while being beaten by rain blowing sideways are likely to make me grumpier than pretty much anything else. However, since the weather will do what it wants whether I like it or not I might as well focus on the things about it that I actually do like about it. Here’s my top five:
- READING: As well as general reading, I have specific books that I particularly love reading in filthy weather. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, for example, make perfect reading during a misty English October. Is it just me or are the Classics better in the winter?
- FOOD: Bring on the roast parsnips, the casseroles, the bountiful supplies of clementines. And hot chocolate with cream on top. And fruit crumble with custard.
- TV: I don’t sit down and watch many programmes on the TV – I’m more of a DVD watcher. However, I am a fan of a host of American TV series which all seem to be released on DVD in the autumn. Using my LoveFilm membership I have already reserved the new series of House MD, Grey’s Anatomy and 24. Mr Bauer – I have missed you and your man bag full of cool stuff.
- WINTER CLOTHES: Much as I love warm, summery days I much prefer my winter wardrobe. Fitted wool coats, giant scarves, leather boots. Dark berry nail varnish. Rosy cheeks. Bring it on.
- DRAMATIC WEATHER: While I appreciate that bad weather causes very real hardship for some people with flooding and freezing and so on, I can’t help loving the drama of trees whipping back and forth in the wind, frosty patterns on window panes and the pounding of rain on the roof while I’m snuggled up in bed. I quite like going out for a walk in it provided I’m not actually trying to get anything done…
The best thing is, most of the things I enjoy don’t really cost very much, if anything at all!
What makes your top 5 for blustery days?