Since it is the last day of the month I’ve been thinking about my goals for July. Obviously I’ll be carrying on with my saving mission and trying to find ways to make the most of what I earn and what I’ve already got. However, I also want to pay a bit more attention to my health and appearance. Although I’ve managed to cut my spending to around £20 a week I haven’t been using that £20 very well. I have been getting worse and worse at buying snack food. The result? I’ve put on weight. Nothing drastic. I think it is around half a stone (7 pounds) and I want to get rid of it. This isn’t really unusual for me. Like most women, my weight tends to go up and down. A lot of friends look at me as though I am mad if I mention losing a few pounds because I am still quite slim. The thing is, I have put on half a stone a lot of times. The crucial factor is the fact that I have always made the effort to lose it again. I’d estimate that over the last ten years I’ve put on (and then lost) half a stone about twice a year. If I hadn’t made the effort to lose it again (and it always takes effort – it never magically vanishes) I would have put on 1 stone a year so over ten years that would be ten stone/140 pounds! For me at least, it is much better to not let weight gain get out of control. It isn’t that hard to shift 7 pounds but it takes real willpower and dedication to lose more than a stone. I am always wildly impressed and in awe of people that manage it. So I’m planning a bit of weight loss for July – shoestring style of course.
It isn’t just my weight that has suffered from eating badly. My skin is awful. Is there anything more insulting than having to use a layer of foundation to cover up both fine lines and spots?! I always thought that the one comfort about being old enough to start developing the odd fine line here and there would be that at least you wouldn’t get spots. Ha! No such luck. My skin has been perplexing me for the past week or so when I realised – doh- that crappy food combined with not enough water or fresh air = crappy skin. ‘Mystery’ solved I am taking action. I am going to make a real effort not just to eat better, take more exercise and drink more water but to use all of my lovely skin care products (I’ve mentioned before that I have stacks to use up) to improve my skin.
Actually, my general goal for July is going to be taking better care of myself and my appearance – on a shoestring budget. I’ll keep you updated with my progress. Since I’m on the subject of weight-loss I feel I should point out that I have tried just about every diet going. Some have worked – some have not. I’m not going to be doing anything fancy or anything too restrictive and I’ll be making a point of working in a few well placed treats so I don’t fall off the wagon! Here is my plan:
- Drink 8 glasses of water a day minimum (I am currently drinking only tea and coffee!)
- No more than one mug of coffee a day (this is more for my skin than for my weight)
- 1 mug of green tea a day (I don’t particularly like the taste but it is good for you)
- Eat breakfast every day: either bran flakes, sultanas and semi-skimmed milk or fruit and yoghurt
- Create a sensible meal plan each week and stick to it
- Packed lunches: I am going to make more of an effort to have interesting lunches so I am less tempted to buy extras
- Have fresh food snacks at hand for the evenings
- NO trips to the shop for non-fruit snacks on my lunch break
- Try to take some form of exercise at least 5 days a week
- I already have 2 exercise DVDs that I can use which won’t cost me anything
- I have found a pair of comfy shoes so I will be trying to get out for an evening walk wherever possible
- I need to get my hair trimmed – it is beginning to look a bit messy
- To spend more time on my skin care routine until it clears up
- Throw away more make-up – perhaps using up old make-up isn’t the best idea for my skin!
Other than buying crap every day I’m not really restricting myself. I find being told that I must cut out cake/butter/nuts/meat/cheese/whatever just makes me miserable and can’t be sustained beyond a fortnight. My willpower just isn’t that good! I’ll weigh myself in the morning and work out exactly how much I want to lose. My goal isn’t necessarily to lose it all in July. I’d be happy with losing 1 pound a week. Tomorrow will be day 1….
From the challenge-a-day list:
- Nifty-thrifty: devising a sensible diet/health/exercise plan that won’t cost me anything!