I made risotto! I’ve never made this before and it turned out really well. The food shop went well on Friday. I spent about £25 on groceries to last the week and then a whopping £12 on ingredients for the risotto (it required booze). I took the £12 from my general spending fund as I was cooking for friends so it was a social thing and still cheaper than going out for dinner – not part of my regular food shop. I’ve mentioned before that I want to experiment a bit more with my cooking. The risotto went down a storm – I’ll definitely make it again and try some different variations. If anyone is interested this is the recipe I used:
- 125g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion finely diced
- 300g risotto rice
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 150g green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 150g peas
- 150g asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces
- 150g baby spinach, chopped
- glass of white wine
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 125g grated grana padano (I didn’t use parmesan because, to me, it smells of feet)
To make the risotto:
- Melt 50g of the butter with the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the rice and stir well to coat the grains. Add the hot stock a large ladelful at a time, stirring until each ladelful is absorbed into the rice. Continue until you have added all of the stock. The rice should be creamy but still firm. This takes about 20 minutes
- Add the vegetables and white wine – mix well and cook for 2 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat, season and then add the rest of the butter, the chopped parsley and the cheese. Mix well, then cover and leave it to rest for a few minutes until serving.
I suppose it isn’t really a very shoestring meal, though I think perfectly okay for entertaining at £4 per head. I still have spinach, asparagus, butter, risotto rice and peas left to use in other meals as well so it probably came in at a bit less than that. There was also plenty of wine left over to drink with the meal! Yesterday I also made 8 portions of lasagne to go in the freezer.
I’ve been having a tentative go at the second bedroom again. It seems like I go around in circles, pulling things out, making a mess, throwing things out, putting other things away again only for it to look exactly the same. Very annoying. I’m doing it in 10 minute stints so I guess it will take me a while!
From the challenge-a-day list:
- Nifty Thrifty: making 8 portions of lasagne for the freezer
- Decluttering: I begin to suspect that I will still be trying to clear the second bedroom come September…