Did a spot of cooking as usual this morning – sausage casserole with mash and another batch of lasagne. Not feeling particularly inspired, recipe-wise, at the moment so I went with a couple of easy options! When I get time, I’ll go through my recipe books and come up with some fresh ideas. The trouble is, my Saturday cook-up tends to be for freezer friendly things which can be a bit limiting.
I went to the library to return two books, intending not to take out any more until I’ve got through the other three library books I have at home, not to mention all of the books people have lent me. Yet I still came out with another two books. Then I went into a charity shop and came out with another book. This is not going to help the decluttering! Couldn’t resist another visit to the antique shop to look at the postcards either. Like last week, I bought one for me and one for my gift box. One reads:
Dear Miss Jones, I am sorry to say I shall not be able to come back till Saturday as I am not so well as I thought. I hope you do not mind because I must have my strength back, to work. I hope you like PB. With love, May.
As I ever I am gripped by this. It was posted in 1907. Confusingly, the mode of address is rather formal (Dear Miss Jones) while the closing is affectionate (with love, May). In my imagination, May is one of a small number of domestic staff in a small to medium size household and she has been staying with relatives while recovering from an illness. Maybe she is actually recovered but wants a mini-holiday before going back to work! Who knows?!
As the sun was really getting into its stride I decided to go for a walk on the beach and over the cliffs…
We are staying in this evening as next weekend is going to be hectic (two gigs and a christening). Lovefilm kindly delivered a DVD this morning, the sausage casserole is already made and I have the ingredients to bake a cake so there’ll be no spending this evening at all!
Book from the charity shop £1 – from general spending fund
Postcards from the antique shop £2 – from general spending fund
From the challenge-a-day list:
- Free stuff: going to the library & going for a walk
- Financial management: I made 6 portions of lasagne and 2 portions of sausage casserole to go straight into the freezer (cheaper to cook in batches – and saves time!)
- Making use of what I already have: I made a good start on my cross-stitch this afternoon
- Considered spending: bought one of my two books ‘allowed’ this month for just £1
- Financial management: bought one thing (the postcard) for my gift box
- Making better use of what I already have: I made a rather feeble start on decluttering my car by clearing out all of the bottles, random packets of now-soft chewing gum, old parking tickets etc. The next phase will involve actual cleaning…